Sunday, August 15, 2010

Good Fit Books


After having read The Daily 5, written by the sisters Gail Boushey and Joan Moser, I decided to implement the acronym and strategy of I PICK into my instruction/lesson for the past week for grades 1 - 5. Each class was met with me wearing my husbands shoes which were way too large. After the students decided that our lesson was about shoes I proceeded to have the class list as many types of shoes as possible. (Fifth graders were introduced to the lesson through Jon Scieszka's, Guys Write for Guys Read selection of Dan Gutman's, And now back to the videotape...about Converse All-Star shoes and life as a kid in the 60's...)

After listing the types of shoes I shared some of my family's shoes and their purpose of why they chose those shoes. We talked about the reasons why we buy shoes and that's when I told them the lesson was not about shoes, but about BOOKS! We learned we choose our books the way we choose our shoes. I shared the acronym:

I choose a book

Purpose (What is the purpose? reading buddy book, entertainment)
Interest (Are you interested in this book?)
Comprehend (Can you understand what you are reading?)
Know most of the words (If you don't know most of the words, you can't comprehend, and you will probably not be interested in it so it does't matter what the purpose is...)

The students really were interested in this lesson and they went on to pick "Good Fit" Books...we also discussed the ways you can read a book.

Kindergarten was introduced to another Eric Carle book, The Very Quiet Cricket and we paired this book with a non fiction book on insects. They were able to go to the shelves and choose a book and read.
Happy Reading,
Mrs. Wetherell